Chapter One, Doublebabelfished by AUGUSTA SZRAK

The name of family of my father that is Pirrip and my name of baptism Philip, my children's linguetta has been able to make of or calls nothing longer or more explicit of the Seed. Thus Seed is called me and has come to being called Seed. Dò Pirrip like mine father's name of family under the authority of its tombale stone and my sister - sig.ra Joe Gargery, that it has married the fabbro. While I have not never seen my father or my mother and I have not never seen some likeness of the or the other of they (for their days avévano place much before that of the days of the photographies), mine first imaginations regarding what it was like unreasonable has been derived from their tombali stones. The figure of letters on mine father's it has given to me an uneven idea that it was a square, the beer of malt, dark man, with curly black hats. From the character and the turn of the registration, 'Moreover wife of Georgian of the above' , I have drawn sickly a puerile conclusion that my mother was freckled. To five little losanghe of stone, everyone approximately a foot and along means that they have been organized in a row taken care of to the side of theirs tomba and were sacred to the memory of the five little ones siblings of mine - who has given in on trying in order to obtain life excessive, as soon as universal fight - that they are obliged for a sideboard I have entertained to them religious that have had all borns on theirs leaves posterior with their hands in they pantaloon-pockets and I had not never taken outside in this condition of the existence.
Ours they were the country of the swamp, down from the river, within, like the wound of the river, twenty miles of the sea. My first clearer and immenser impression of the identity of the things seems to me to be earned on a memorable crude afternoon towards the evening. To a such time I have uncovered for sure that this invaded place brullo with the ortiche ones was the churchyard; and that wife of Philip Pirrip, behind schedule of this parish and also of Georgian of which over, out of order and she was buried; and that childrens of the aforesaid one, moreover out of order Alexander, Bartholomew, Abraham, Tobias and Roger, children and were buried; and that the dark flat wild region beyond the churchyard, intersected with the banks and hillocks and cancels, with the scattered cattle that is fed on it, was the swamps; and that the plumbea line lowland was the river here; and that the wild lair distant from which the wind was sliding fast it was the sea; and that the small package of the brividi that they grow frightened of it all and that they begin to scream it was Seed.
" It holds your noise! " a terrible voice has screamed, since a man has begun in between from the tombe on the side of the porch of the church. " He still maintains, you small devil, or I will cut your throat! "
A frightful man, all in the grey of maximum, with a great iron on its piedino. A man without the hat and with the ice-skate routes and an old cloth has a legacy around its head. A man who had been impregnated in water and had been suffocated in mud and had been storpiato from stones and cut from the flints and stinging from the ortiche and violent from the briars; who limped and rabbrividetto and has shone and ringhiato; and of which the teeth they have vibrated in its head it has grippato while from it I lie.
" Oh! You do not cut my throat, the gentleman, " I have supplicato in the terror. " It prays do not make it, sir."
"It says your name to us! " it has said the man. "Quickly!"
" Seed, sir."
" Once more, " it has said the man, fixing me. " Diagli the mouth! "
" Seed. Seed, sir."
" Mostrili where you live, " it has said the man. " You specify the place! "
I have indicated where the disposition of our village, on coastal slowly between the alder-trees and the pollards, a mile or more from the church.
The man, after the examination of me for a moment has turned it in inverse and has emptied my pockets. There was nothing in they but a bread part. When the church has come to own it - for unexpected and thus strong it was that it has made it to go head over the heels before me and I have seen the steeple to be under of my feet - when the church has come to if, I say, I have been put on a high tombale stone, tremolante, while it has eaten the bread ravenously.
" You young dog, " it has said the man, leccante its lips, " that fat guancie you have. "
Creed that has been fat, although or that to be too much small time for my not strong years.
" Rammendilo if you could not eat it, " it has said the man, with a threatening jolt of its head, " and if you had half of mind in order not to make it! "
Sincerely I have expressed my hope that not he would and judged more straight to the tombale stone on which it had put it; in order to maintain itself partially on it; in order to maintain screaming partially.
" Now observed here! " it has said the man. " Where she is your mother? "
" Here, gentleman! " the saying.
It has begun, made in the short run and arrested and observed over its shoulder.
" Here, gentleman! " Timid I have explained. "Moreover Georgian. Those is mine mother."
" Oh! " saying he, returning. " And is those your father with your mother? "
" Yes, gentleman, " the said one; " he also; behind schedule of this parish."
" He has! " then he has murmured, considering. " Who is fairies in tension with - supposing you' kind king left to be in tension, which I have not composed my mind approximately? "
" My sister, gentleman - sig.ra Joe Gargery - wife of Joe Gargery, the fabbro, sir."
" Fabbro, eh? " saying he. And observed down its piedino.
After dark the examination its piedino and me several times, has come more near my tombale stone, it has taken from both the crews, and it has tilted it behind for how much it has been able to hold it; so that its eyes observe most powerful down mine and in the mine it has observed most impotent in its.
" Now observed here, " it has said, " the question that is if you must have left in order to live. You know what a lima is? "
" Yes, sir."
" And you know what the vittles is? "
" Yes, sir."
After that every question has entitled to be over a little more, so as to they give a greater sense to me of defenceless being and the danger.
" You obtain a file to me." It has still tilted. " And you obtain to me vittles." It has still tilted. " Them capacities both to me." It has still tilted. " Or the I it has your heart and liver out." It has still tilted.
They have been scared terrible and thus breathtaking that I have joined to he with both the hands and have said, " If you satisfy kindly in order to leave to maintain them mounting, gentleman, I would not perhaps have to be ill and perhaps I could assist to more."
It has given a most tremendous dive and a seam to me, which way that the church has jumped over relative to that own weather-cock. It has held then from it the crews in a straight position on the advanced part of the stone and has continued in these frightful terms:
" Capacities me, tomorrow the morning soon, that lima and they vittles. Capacities the lottery me, to that old battery over laggiù. The fairies and daring never to say a word or to dare to make a sign with regard to you that a person like me sees, or sumever of the anyone and will be left in order to live. You come to lack at all, or gone from my words in the detail, it does not import as small it is and your heart and your liver will have torn outside, braced and have eaten. Now, they are not alone, as you can think that. There is a hidden young person with me, in comparison to which the young person I am an angel. That young person feels the words that I say. That young person has a secret sense detail to oneself, to obtain to a boy and its heart and its liver. It is invano so that a boy tries to hide from that young person. A boy can close its hatch to key, can be warm according to, can tuck itself on in, can extract the garments over its head, can be believed comfortable and sure, but that young person softly striscerà and striscerà its sense to and he will tear it opened. I am maintaining that young person from the damage of you currently with the great difficulty. I find much hard one to hold that young person outside of your inner part. Now, what you say? "
I have said that I would have obtained the lima to it I would soon obtain and that it stung broken off of food I could and come on drums to he, of morning.
" You say the blow of the gentleman died if not fairies!" he has said the man.
I have said thus he has taken and it drains itself.
" Now, " he has persecuted, " remembered that what you have undertaken and remembered that young person and you obtain the house! "
" Substance sticky-good night, gentleman, " I have hesitated.
" A lot of that one! " saying he, throwing a look approximately to him over the bathed cold plan. " I wish that or be a frog. Or a eel! "
At the same time, she has embraced its rabbrividicente body in both its crews - clasping, as if in order to keep entirety - and limped towards the wall lowland of the church. I have seen it to go, selecting its sense between the ortiche and the more that limit hillocks green, she has observed in my young same eyes as if eluding the hands of out of order people, lengthening prudently out from theirs tombe, in order to obtain a torsion on its ankle and in order to pull it within. When the lowland of the church has come to the wall, it has exceeded gradice a round man of which the piedini they were intorpidetti and rigid and then turned in order to be trying it. I have seen it to turn, I have regulated my forehead towards the house and have made the best use of mine piedini. But currently I have observed over my shoulder I have seen it to still ignite towards the river, still to embrace me in its crews and to select its sense with its feet irritated between great stones fallen in the swamps here and here for making step-places when the pioggie were heavy, or the tide was within.
The swamps then were hardly a long black horizontal line, since have I stopped to take care of it; and the river was hardly another horizontal line, black still not thus and not nearly thus immense; and the sky was hardly a row of the long angry red lines and the dense black lines that have been stirred. Sul edge of the river I could a weak person make outside only the two black things in all the prospect that has seemed to be raised straight in the feet; one of these was the bonfire from which the sailors they have directed - like you cheat them unhooped on a pole - an ugly thing when you were close it; the other a gibbet, with some chains that hang to it which had held pirata once. The man limping over towards this last one, as if it were the pirata one he came to life and he came down behind and going to couple itself in on the anchor. If he gave terrible turns to me when I have thought thus; and since I have seen the cattle to raise their witness in order to watch fixed after him, they are asked if they have thought to me thus also I have observed all round off for the horrible young person and I could not vedergli signs. But now they have been still scared and I have worked to the house without arrest to me.

3 comments:

Seraphine Ducasse (Editor) said...

Epigraph:

Marduk spoke the word, and the garment was destroyed. Again he spoke the word, and the garment was re-made. When the gods beheld the power of his word, they all rejoiced.
(Enuma Elish)

Seraphine Ducasse (Editor) said...

Dickens's work has here been translated into ITALIAN and back by machine. See below for a full description of the process and its implications.

Seraphine Ducasse (Editor) said...

The following description of Doublebabelfish is extracted from Augusta Szrak's essay 'Lost in Translation?' which was published in 'LIKE: An experiment in interpretation' (Icebox, 2008):

"There is a game I like to play, which I call Doublebabelfish. If you would like to try it, take a piece of text (any author will do) and paste it into the originating box at the automated translation site babelfish.altavista.com. Choose a language (any language will do; you don’t need to understand it), and instruct the site to translate the text. Copy the resultant and paste it into the originating box. Then instruct the site to translate the text into its original language and compare this final text with the original text. The texts will not be the same. They may be similar or wildly different. You will be amused (this is better than Facebook; you don’t even need any friends). You may be impressed by some of the ‘innovations’ in the new text. Just where, however, did the differences come from? Do they reveal something intrinsic about the conceptual topography of the intermediary language you chose (the medium through which the text passed)? Or about the interfaces between these two languages (their refractory indices, if you like)? Or merely about the limitations of automated translation, or of the dictionaries it uses, or of the compilers of the dictionaries it uses? Just what is revealed? Try another language. Compare the results."

(The LIKE project and exhibition which the publication accompanied is also documented at http://www.icebox.org.nz/LIKE1.html)