Chapter One, Edited by ISABELLA BEETON

I have a secret way peculiar to myself, of getting at a boy, and at his heart, and at his liver. It is in vain for a boy to attempt to hide himself from me. A boy may lock his door, may be warm in bed, may tuck himself up, may draw the clothes over his head, may think himself comfortable and safe, but I softly creep and creep my way to him and tear him open.
I wash his heart thoroughly under running water or in several changes of cold water. I cut off the flaps and lobes, and remove any gristle. I cut away the membranes which separate the cavities inside his heart and see that it is quite free from blood inside. I drain and dry his heart thoroughly and fill it with stuffing. I sew up the top with fine string or cotton, or skewer it securely.
I heat dripping in a roasting dish, and put in his heart. I baste it well and bake it in a warm oven for three hours. I baste it frequently and turn it occasionally. When it is tender, I remove the string, cotton or skewer, place his heart on a warmed serving dish and keep it hot. I pour off most of the fat from the roasting dish, retaining about one tablespoon of the sediment. I stir in flour and cook until browned. I gradually add brown stock and stir until it is boiling. I pour a little around the heart and serve the rest separately.
I take his liver. I remove the skin and tubes, and cut his liver into finger-width slices. I lie them in a deep, greased baking dish. I lie bacon on top of his liver. I add enough water to half-cover his liver. I cover the dish with a lid. I bake it in a moderate oven for about one hour until his liver is cooked and tender.
I lift out his liver, arrange the slices on a warmed serving dish and keep them hot. I reserve the liquid. I chop the bacon rashers and sprinkle them over his liver.
I mix flour to a smooth paste with a little cold water. I gradually mix in the reserved stock. I pour it into a pan and heat it to boiling point, stirring all the time. I reduce the heat and simmer it for two to three minutes. If it is too thick, I add more water. I season it with salt and pepper and strain the sauce round his liver.

2 comments:

Seraphine Ducasse (Editor) said...

Epigraph:

Then the bear from the lake or from the glacier in the interior will come forth, he will eat all the flesh and make a skeleton of you, and you will die. But you will find your flesh again, you will awaken and your garments will fly towards you.
(Account of Iglulik shamanism quoted in Mircea Eliade - 'Myths, Dreams and Mysteries')

Seraphine Ducasse (Editor) said...

A splicing of exactly contemporary texts, 'Great Expectations' and 'Household Management'.